Saturday, February 23, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

Why is it that making decor decisions is so hard?

As you know we're in the middle of our renos and with us going away for 10 days there are many decisions that have to be made. I am now at the flooring crisis. I say crisis because it is so hard to get it just right and it sometimes feels that we may never get the pick made before the contractors will be here to install. Here are the things that I am learning about this process and about myself.

1) This week I have spent all my spare time looking for flooring and as I come to the end of the week and look back I realize that although I found a pick I like there is now the whole budget thing to factor in. (I must have expensive taste.)
That created another rush around day today looking for the right price to make the budget work. I may even have to take Mon. and Tues. to rechoose my flooring. Crazy isn't it?

2) The other thing that I came to realize about myself was that it is so much easier to pick for someone else than it is to pick for me. I am usually sure of how things will look when I'm helping a friend pick their choices but when it comes to myself I am having a hard time knowing what I will like and be happy living in for the rest of my life. (I'm under the impression that this is a one time deal.) My hubby keeps saying that "you have to be happy with it". I'm not sure if that is his line because it doesn't really matter to him or if he just doesn't want to hear me complain if it doesn't turn out. I must admit that I will be for a time, after everything is all said and done, be looking to see where I should have changed things. I can't help myself that's just the way I am.

3) It matters alot to me what other people think. I want people to come in and love our house. Ooh and ahh over how great it looks. (Vain aren't I?) There's a great deal of pressure that when my friends and family come to look they will not like it and they will realize how lousy my taste really is. How sad is that?

4) I have come to appreciate the stress that others tell about when they're in a building project. There are times when you just want a normal day, one in which you won't have to make another decision.

With all that I have just said things are moving along right on schedule which I am thankful for. I'm still having fun doing this project. It's going to look just great when it's done.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

HAHAHAHAHA! You have GREAT taste. And your friends know it. After all, you've decorated all their houses. ;-)

Anonymous said...

you're quite funny ma. In he end though, you have to be able to sit down and just really enjoy it for what it is. so be picky now, so that when it's done you won't say 'I should have done this' or 'I should have done that'. you'll just be happy with how it is......no picking at it like the christmas tree (lol). also, it's you who has to like it, and who cares if no one else does(which won't be the case because I already know I'm gonna love it. you've got great taste). Enjoy the renos, as much as other people would like the chance to have someone else redo their entire house, most can't, so you're quite lucky. you're musings make me laugh, funny little mom.
dv

airingon said...

Shauna,
Thanks for the compliment.

dv,
My plan is to enjoy this reno but you can´t help wondering if people will like it. After all, I want you to want to come to my house and feel good being there.
I am glad that I make you laugh. Thats what I hope others find when they read these ramblings.