Monday, February 25, 2008

"I think I'm allergic to mornings"

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how hard you try you can't make someone a morning person. If it is possible to be allergic to morning then I think I am. I notice that when I have to get up early that I show the signs of an allergy: puff eyes, watery eyes, dark circle under my eyes, headachy, sometimes stuffy nose, a bit of a sore throat, and a foggy mind.

I have had to get up most every morning the last couple of weeks by 8:00 a.m. Not only have I had to be up but I have had to look as if I am ready to do the day. Up until this time I have had very few times where on an ongoing bases I have had to start my day in this fashion. When the kids were in school we we're up by 7:00 - 7:30 each day but at least I didn't have to be out of my pj's and housecoat, hair looking half way presentable. And after they left I could either climb back into bed for another hour or slump down on the couch and let the early morning run off me. (Yes, I did feel a little guilty that my kids had to have it together so early and I expected them to do it no complaining.) All the years I worked I started work and between 9:00 - 10:00. I used to tell people at work that I didn't wake up til 10:00 and that is why I was so quiet in the morning. I simply can't think before 10. My presence was in body not mind.

Now with contractors arriving by 8:00 a.m. this has been my schedule. I don't want them to think that I'm pathetic or something so I watch the clock and try to time myself to get everything done before they arrive. I find myself longing for the weekend to arrive when its only Tues. By the time Fri. gets here I am giving myself pep talks on how I can do this, "its only one more morning before sleep-in day". "Tomorrow I won't have to watch the clock", trying to sneak in just that last minute of dozing. I rejoice in Sat. morning and the feeling of my bed as I lay there thinking about how great it feels to not have to get up. (Isn't that pathetic?) As a matter of fact, by the time Fri evening comes I am looking forward to going to bed due to exhaustion.

I have wondered if there is something wrong with me. Why I couldn't get it changed around. Yet, in all my acquaintances over the years I have found that when you're a morning person, you're a morning person and when you're a night person, you're a night person. The way I see it is I've been created by God so why try to change what he had planned. It helps me feel better when I think this way. I'm sure that my hubby may disagree with me seeings that he's a morning person. To him morning is the best time of the day. Ugg! But, he loves me anyway and doesn't resent my sleeping in because he is just as happy getting up.

On the topic of mornings all I can say is:
"I think I'm allergic to mornings!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so why is it that the Night Owl marries the Early Bird??? I have the same situation. Its not that I sleep in till noon, it just looks like I do. BC

airingon said...

BC,
I have no idea why that is. It can make for very tiring holidays. As a matter of fact, I even sometimes look forward to hubby going back to work so I can lounge in bed that extra couple of hours. By the way I to have the hubby who leaves at unheard of hours for work.

Shauna said...

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how hard you try you can't make someone a morning person.

The way I see it is I've been created by God so why try to change what he had planned.


WHAT?! Did you actually WRITE this?? The same woman who, for years, tried to turn me into a morning person. "Make yourself get up early. Your body will get used to it. It'll adapt," you said. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I suppose that's motherly advice along the same line as "If you cross your eyes, they'll stick that way."

I'm glad we're on the same page now. Given a few years, I'll probably be singing the same tune to my three boys that you sang to me. ;-)

airingon said...

Shauna,
Your turn will come to tell those boys that they can get used to mornings.LOL It is one of the things that you do because it heips with the guilt of going to back to bed when they have to leave the house for the day. Besides, I am married to your Dad. LOL
I´m glad that we´re on the same page now. There´s comfort in numbers. LoL

Anonymous said...

You have just perfectly described how I feel about mornings. Thankyou for making me feel like I'm not the only person who just totally is allergic to morning time. I'm a grumpy so and so til about 11am when i start to wake up and then my brain actually starts to work properly.

airingon said...

James,
Thanks for the comment. It is great to know that there is more of us out there. Maybe we can start a support group so ease that guilt that the world makes us feel.LOL

C said...

It was just in a movie that I watched at 1:30am (of course) "allergic to mornings." Kinda a vampire movie.

I have felt this way since 04 and can't explain it. I feel like the morning has nothing for me and I want to save my energy for the night. I have learned software after midnight, so I am not lazy.

Odd few others feel this way. BTW it's 1:45AM right now and I want to start another movie. Good Night.