Friday, August 22, 2008

Love is in the air

Are you a romantic?

I am. I know that is kind of a silly thing to ask but I was wondering if any of you out there find romance in the strangest places? It's easy to find romance in a movie or a book, but every so often it pops up just out of the blue when your least expecting it.

Well I don't normally but the other week at church while our pastor was giving his sermon, I all of a sudden found a "read it in a book kind of romance". You know the kind of romance that gives you tingley feelings and makes you wonder if there is another man in this world that could possibly be the hero that you just read about.

There I was sitting listening to the pastor; who, by the way, was not talking on romance at all but teaching in the book of Ruth on some other topic; when all of a sudden I got this visual image of Boaz arranging the events for insuring that Ruth would become his wife. Here he was just walking in his field when he spots this girl who is gleaning grain. She doesn't notice him but he is taken enough with her that he tells his hired men to make sure that she isn't sent away and in fact make sure that a little grain is left behind so that she would have enough. Then one day he invites her to have dinner with him and his hired crew. She was a little shocked and couldn't figure out why he was showing her such favor. I think that maybe he had a bit of a fascination with her and wanted a chance to get to know her. As time went on, and I think that maybe he had her take lunch at his table frequently, he realized that she was something really special and love bloomed in his heart. He then went through their cultural rituals and made sure that there could be no mistake in her having to be given to someone else. He thought of it all and made sure he covered all his bases so that she could be his.

I don't see how Ruth couldn't help but fall "head over heels" in love with him. Wouldn't you? Having someone persue you and make sure that no one else could prevent you from being together. That is a "knight in shining armor" moment.

In the end they did get married and I think lived happily ever after.

Know what else I think is interesting about this love story is that they didn't have this hate then love relationship. They would be a happily ever after couple because they complemented each other right from the start.

Anyway, there it is, romance in church. I know that the Bible has always had romance in there, after all, God is the creator of romance, but it has never hit me before where it moves my emotions and I can picture the scene playing out in front of me. It's not the mushy gushy stuff either but the way that Boaz looked out for Ruth and took care of her needs. Just gotta love him.

I am sure that if my pastor was to read this he would be shocked to realize where my mind went in his sermon but like I always say "There it is".

Well, I hope that you find a little romance in your day. It makes the heart feel good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally another blog. I guess nothing really tickles my funny bone, but I sure laugh a lot.
enjoy your blog very much and thought you had left blog world for good.
keep sharing those interesting views of yours - some of us really do see the world as you do

airingon said...

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know that your out there still checking in. I wasn't sure that anyone was reading so didn't panic.
Wow! There are others of you that are like me. That makes my day.
Hoping to get back into posting more often.