Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

In the past few months I have been busy helping my parents move and as that has come to a close we have had family visiting and it hit me with a tickle that in many ways we resemble the Big Fat Greek Wedding family. Here's the story.

My brother and sister-in-law from Germany came to Canada to help settle their daughter into school. While they were in Canada they took the time to visit Mom and Dad. (Their daughter is going to school in a city that is about 6 hours away.) They only had a few days that they could be here so I decided that it would be a great idea to have those of the family that are around here over for a potluck of sorts supper. That way everyone could see them while they were in town without it being to much running for them. When the evening came it turned out that there were 19 of us for supper. It was great and I actually think that everyone had good time. Of course you can't visit on the same level as if it was one on one but with the time crunch I think it worked out well. That was on a Sat. night.

Tues. morning my sister called and said that she and her daughter and her daughter's husband were coming up to see Mom and Dad. They too, only had two days before they would have to fly out. My niece and her husband are from San Diego and those of us in the family that live here have never met her husband as he is from Costa Rica originally. Once again, I decided that it would be a good idea if everyone came for another potluck supper. (Sat. had worked out so great.) As I was adding up how many would be here if everyone came the number added up to 27, and that is when I realized that we closely resemble My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

The scene that played out in my mind was when Tula takes Ian's parents to meet "The Family". They were expecting to meet 4 people and when they arrived the front yard was full of all the relatives. Ian's mother has fear written on her face as she makes her way to meet Tula's father.

That is how I imagined my niece's husband feeling when he came to meet "The Family". (I couldn't help but laugh.)

The evening turned out great and I actually think that my niece and her husband had a good time.

So, what do you think, we're not Greek but don't you think that it may be somewhere in our blood?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's hilarious. It's true that we somehow end up with big family get togethers from time to time. Is dad starting to use windex to heal wounds?

airingon said...

Anonymous,
No, Dad is not using windex to heal wounds that I'm aware of. LOL

But who knows what the future may hold for the family. Maybe we should try it, it may just work.