Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Security Blanket for You?

Went on my holiday and for the first time in my life I was the minority. That may not seem that bad to you but for me it was uncomfortable. When there was talking going on around me and I had no idea what was being said it made me a little nervous.

It all began as we arrived in San Jose, Costa Rica. We were going through immigration at the airport and the man is asking us where we're staying while there and how long will be our stay. Not bad questions but when all you know is that you're staying at a house in San Jose and he wants to know where it is, it kind of rocks your world. He was not letting us through with out an address. Thankfully my sister, who was with us, was close by and could answer these questions.

Then as we drove there was nothing that looked familiar, no houses like ours and bars on everyone's windows and doors. You go out to eat and have no idea what is on the menu. That is a very strange feeling. (Thank goodness that we were with my sister and brother-in-law who could speak Spanish, were patient with us, and never made us feel bad for asking.)

Now this is not a blog about Costa Rica but about feeling uncomfortable when you are totally out of your element. Some people love and thrive on the adventure of the unknown but I discovered that I like a little security in my adventures. (Thank goodness we had gone with someone who knew the place and people like the back of their hands.)

I never would have thought that it would bother me to go into a situation where I couldn't communicate. I am sure that most of the people must have found me strange as I stood there with troubled brow, nodding with my head telling them with these strange sounds that I had no idea what they were trying to say. I say strange sound because that is what I heard from them. It did sound just like a bunch of gibberish to me. (I wonder if they hear their language the way we hear English?)

Isn't it presumptuous of me to think that somehow I would be able to communicate without even taking the time to learn a little of the language?

I know you all are thinking how elementary of me to think this way but you know that is how I thought, and this blog is the reality of how I felt. You somehow think you can get by.

By the way, our trip was the best, we got to see Costa Rica at the level which the nationals live and not the tourist places, which is exactly what we wanted to do. It was a marvelous trip. We loved it, but I learnt things about myself that I would never have known. I am certainly going back, but the next time I hope to know a little bit of the language so that I can get the drift of what is being asked of me, or be able to give them an idea of where I am drifting too.

That about wraps up my thoughts on this topic of security. How about yours?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of my trip to europe. I got off the plane in Barcelona and didn't speak a word of spanish, and neither did the people I was with, nor did most of the locals. It was perhaps the most isolated feeling I have ever felt. We went to a restraunt and couldn't read the menu. the only thing the waitress knew how to say in english was 'hotdogs?'. that's what we ate that day. Anyway, I know the feeling, and can empathize with you on that point. It sure is nice to come home to the familiar.

D.V.

airingon said...

D.V.
That is so funny that you ended up eating hotdogs. LOL
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in that isolated feeling.
Your right, it felt good to be where it's familiar.