Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Out of the mouth of babes

This week I am babysitting my 3 grandsons. It has been a very interesting time and I can now appreciate the funny things that Shauna tells me about the boys, especially when they are talking amongst themselves. This is the conversation that happened a couple of days ago.

The boys parents are away for 12 days and we are in day #3, on our way to church, running a little ahead of schedule and so have to kill some time in the van. Benen is feeling sad that his Mom is not around and is shedding tears, so Connor the older brother decides that he will console Benen.
The conversation went like this:

Benen: "I want my Mom."
Connor: "It's okay Benen, Mommy is on a trip"
Benen (sobbing): "I need my Mom"
Connor: "It's okay, Mommy is in Costa Rica on a holiday"
Benen continues to sob and Connor is starting to feel a little sad.
Connor: "It's okay Benen. I'll share my treasures with you, okay?"
Benen: "Your treasures? Okay."
Connor: "Yeah my treasures. They are Mom and Dad and Kolten and you. Those are my treasures."

Isn't life like that, it's "out of the mouth of babes" that we are often reminded what is most important in life. Our best treasures.

Make sure you take some time today to appreciate you greatest treasures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am almost weeping with joy. My niece is instilling in her little boys the "treasures" that our families are!! Way to go Connor on a lesson well learned.
DM

Anonymous said...

that's a pretty cute story. those boys are sure something special
Derek

airingon said...

DM
You gotta love it! It sure made me smile as once again I was reminded what really is important.

Derek
Thanks for dropping by.
They just don't come anymore special.

Shauna said...

*sniffle, sniffle*

Well, it's a good thing you didn't tell me that when I phoned. I might have hopped the next plane home.