Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The gift of giving

This blog was written back in the Christmas season and for several reasons it didn't get posted. I have decided to post it anyway because the gift of giving is really a year round gift. Hope you enjoy it.

Have you ever wondered about the gift of giving?

Well, that is what is going through my head at this moment. I have just spent some precious time reading devotions with some of my family and the reading today came from I Peter 3:8-17 in the Bible. The particular part that stood out to me was verse 17: "Remember, it is better to suffer for doing good, if that is what God wants, than to suffer for doing wrong."

If you take the time to really think about the situations you see around you of people suffering for things that they have done, it is usually those who do things that are wrong choices that suffer the most. I have been in both situations and let me tell you, it is much easier to hurt for making the right choice than to hurt for making the wrong choice. I believe that the primary difference is guilt over selfishness. It is much easier to hurt when you know that you have made the right choice. I think it is a miracle that it is actually a peaceful suffering. I know, you're saying to yourself "peaceful suffering?". Yes, peaceful suffering. I believe that peaceful often gets mixed up with feels good. You can have peace in the hardest and most uncomfortable situations when it comes from right choices. The reason that happens is because you don't have to deal with guilt. It still is painful but you have peace that you made the right choice. I believe that God blesses the hearts and emotions of those who do right, thus giving you the unexplainable peace at the root of all that is happening.

So, as Christmas is the time for giving take the time to make some right choices, even if it hurts, and bless someone who really has a need. And if it is nothing else than making a right choice of action or attitude toward someone and giving up something that is totally selfish for the health and happiness of those you love, then blessings to you in your suffering. God is so good and loves to comfort and bless you who make the right choice.

Merry Christmas and Blessings to those who experience the "gift of giving".

1 comment:

Shauna said...

So true. Thanks for the reminder!